Monday, September 15, 2008

Final Digiscape



Click the picture to play.

It is done! It is finally done!

Here is my final digiscape. Changes include adding shape tweening elements, tightening the animations of the rows of data, a massive increase in the amount of objects moving from plane to plane (from zero to many) fbf tightening of previous movements, and a bit of finetuning everything else. Nested animations are becoming my best friend, and they are becoming very easy to use.

I will say, however, that much of my success with them are because of the notes i took while animating. It is a big help to plan out what I want to do first, while leaving enough room for experimentation. Thinking about timing and spacing of objects helped as well.

In regards to the data that transfers in between planes, I found my original idea of the squares transferring into shapes to appear more forced than the rest of my work. (too much of the trick showed, not enough magic... if that makes any sense.) So instead of doing that, i went an entirely different route and shape tweened masks for the changed shapes, putting webbed patterns that changed color at different times into my animation. These i think would be a nice contrast to the square data clusters. They represent the inner framework that is used for each piece of data. The programming and coding that goes into digital information. It is, however, not one solid line. The little splits on the sides represent fragmented, imperfect data. The internet is man made, and from time to time, traces of humane programming can be found upon examination.

7 comments:

Jordan said...

I'll be honest pizza ninja, I wasn't too sure if was stoked about your moving squares concept at first. But I kept my mouth shut because I knew you could convince me. And well this is actually wildly entertaining. I think it works conceptually and visually. The masking with the circuit board style texture is really visually interesting and the color and opacity changes are well executed.

ericHUBER said...

Thats wild, i got lost in it for a second.

Everything keeps your eye moving around, since you described it in the beginning.

Does it get to where theres just constant transfers of files... I mean does it just get crazy in there? Berserk haywire, like the internet of today

DaKoda Davis said...

:: Michael ::

You concept really has some interesting points. It might be very nice if you can incorporate some action-scripting to make circuits transcend or descend when you click on one. Overall, the colors work well, I love all motions going on within.

anthoneycarter said...

I really enjoy it. The space and dimensionality of it works great. I would love to see it speed up and get really intense. It seems like it's almost there but after a while it just lets me down from looping over and over again. It's definitely a great approach as opposed to mine.

qaaim said...

You know I hate you and your attentiveness to detail and smooth transitions. You and me shall battle. I really enjoy this animation especially the underlying coordinate plane. Once we learn action-scripting I'm sure you'll return to this idea and make items clickable.

Anonymous said...

This piece has come together really well. The intro suits the piece and the loop afterwards does a great job of holding attention.

wyatt said...

very nice a lot of cool stuff happening with this one.