Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Update to Digiscape

...So I went home and experimented with a bunch of different methods and possibilities in regards to animating my data clusters. I tried different sizes, different shapes. I found that the most visually appealing and effective shapes to use were of even sides; mainly hexagons, circles and octagons. I think it would be interesting to animate the data clusters moving at different speeds, and transforming into different shapes as they pass between locations. Everything has been moved to its distinct layer and category, allowing me to manipulate, transform, and copy objects in flash as i please.

I also tried combining my original idea with my final digiscape, which produced a very interesting result:


Digiscape Version 2. New shapes, and a tweaked environment.

I can incorporate the grid in my digiscape as the pathways which electric signals move inbetween. I could animate a current moving along the grid, although it would be harder to do horizontal scrolling with the grid.

...The way i see it, I could either use my original idea, or incorporate some facets of my alternate digiscape, such as the shapes, or grid. Each have their pros and cons to the final composition. I will admit i do appreciate the uniformity of the all-square layout. I can simulate elongated shapes and lines and whatnot by changing the speeds of the squares. I can also keep the grid and the alternate shapes, although animating the grid may be a bit more difficult.

Both iterations of the digiscape are saved in illustrator and elements of each can be mixed and mismatched. Is there one layout that anyone prefers from another?

2 comments:

DaKoda Davis said...

Michael,
I agree that this new reproduction incorporates more of your original concept. I especially enjoy seeing the grid forms in the ground. I really think this functions better for your overall concept.

Ms. Singleton said...

more of the different shapes! :)